Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bison, Bears and Elk, Oh My!!!!

So I spent the 4th of July weekend up in Jackson, Wyoming, and I must say how beautiful it was up there. Tons of wildlife and the views were epic. Between all the animals and the lakes and rivers I am very much surprised that Jackson is really known only for skiing in the winter. Ironically, the summertime is much more beautiful than anything that I have seen in a while and I am only a half day away from Yosemite!







My friend Cinda who lives and works up there (shameless plug - Grand Teton Lodge Company http://www.gtlc.com/) stated to me that since it really only stopped snowing a month ago, that this was spring time and the amount of Flowers that were up there were incredible!








The flower above (I have no idea what the name is) I shot when I was in Yellowstone near one of the hot springs (actually about 20 feet from one) and it had the most vivid yellow's and reds. There were more of these types of flowers all over the place but not as brightly colored as this one.


Ok, I'm getting off point here, so the main reason why I decided to post this was because I have seen much wildlife (and not from the zoo). I have seen Bobcats, Owl, plenty of birds, deer, etc....


I have even been chased by a bear (aaahhh... youth). But I know that one of the high points of going to Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons is the amount of wildlife you get to see.





I must say that it was an amazing experience. Especially from the pic above. Being from SoCal, the opportunity to see a Bald Eagle in person is a rarity, much less getting pretty close to one (I got within 25 feet to take this pic)!
So having such a great, amazing and enlightened time, it was time for me to go home. The only sad part of my trip was that I only saw 1 moose, and 1 bear. So loading up my luggage into the van to go to the airport, I heard over the radio from the dispatch that there was a Grizzly bear and her cubs (or maybe a Brown Bear, no matter) within the area and the Park Rangers were on their way. Not thinking much of it, I loaded up and was on the road.
Ironically enough, we are driving thru the exact area where the bear and her cubs were at. At that moment, I wish I had a camera!!!!!!!! I was so mad that mine was in my luggage!
...and why you ask, I was so mad that I didnt have my camera? The answer is, the bear and her cubs werent the reason...
It was the 30+ idiots that were within 30 feet of a very aggressive animal (with her cubs!) and the Park Rangers that were sent there were basically running crowd control.
As I passed by in the van (as the driver is slowing down as to not hit anyone that is OUT of there cars and running back and forth in the middle of the road), these people began screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs for us to MOVE.
I dont think this too often, but to quote Yogi Bear, "Smarter than the average bear" is definately not us human beings.... we think that we are still top of the food chain and that we are the reason that life on this planet is possible, not to mention that people still think that we are the center of the universe.
I just wanted the bear to attack somebody... really I swear I did.
Because most people just dont get it.


And that, bothers the hell outta me.






No comments: